What is a good description of how people learn? Click To Tweet
49: Tom Bennett: What is the best way to teach?
Kelly Long chats with Tom Bennett a teacher from Dagenham, East London. He writes a weekly column and blog for the TES, is founder and director of researchED (a movement designed to promote research literacy and critical thinking in education). Tom is also the chair of a working group asked by the DfE to look into improving behaviour management in initial teacher training.
In this episode Kelly and Tom discuss the conflict that exists between what sciences know about education vs what teachers actually do in the classroom to facilitate learning.
Challenging Behaviour Techniques that Work!
- All behaviour issues are opportunistic. Help children to get out of those behaviour scenarios the best way that you can.
Professional Challenge – What is the best way to teach?
- Understanding the dysfunction that exists between educational research and teaching.
- Helping teachers to be more research literate.
- Do learning styles actually work?
- Building partnerships between teaching stakeholders and educational researchers.
“Children hate and crave boundaries at the same time! Know what makes them feel safe!”
“Relax into your role as a teacher and you’ll get much better at teaching!”
Best Educational Resources
Research ED – the online home for anyone interested in educational research, what it means, and how it can – or can’t – make a difference in the classroom.
Twitter chats are fantastic for CPD!